Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 4: Nearsighted






In life, we often get frustrated when we can't see the big picture. We demand meaning behind every little thing that happens to us or those close to us. When we can't see the deeper meaning we throw up our hands in dissatisfaction cursing the world or the God we serve.

I have found myself in that situation more times then not in the last couple of years. I have watched people suffer in ways that i feel is cruel and unusual punishment. Either with life threatening illness or debilitating mental illnesses. I don't see the purpose in it and feel that for the ones suffering with it, pointless and just cruel. I've found myself praying over and over for these people. And when i pray, i pray with faith that they will be healed. My only problem is i expect them to be healed on the spot. Outwardly healed that is. I get frustrated and disheartened when its not instantaneous. I forget that healing can often take time, patience, surrender and often affect more then the person suffering. The process that the healing takes is just as much of a meaningful experience then the healing itself. I get frustrated because they are continuing to suffer but i fail to see that their is grace in the process too. God can use the process just as much if not more then the healing itself. It may be in the grace and peace of the person being healed and how they wait. It may be in the struggle and pain that others find the depth of God's Love. Who knows where people find their healing when in the midst of pain and struggle, but the process of being healed is just as much a growth process as the act of being healed.

A friend told me the other day, that we should celebrate in the smallest of victories. We think that once we step foot into the situation, things should change instantly, but we fail to celebrate the small victories along the way. We aren't the one who brings about change and healing, God is. We should trust the process and allow for testimony to emerge from the small steps we take in our redemption and in our healing.


Photo: 163rd Subway platform
F2
1/60
FL:50

No comments:

Post a Comment